Emergency Transportable Housing Advisory Committee
In August 2007, the Board organized the Emergency Transportable Housing Advisory Committee to develop recommendations on supplementary provisions to the ADA and ABA Accessibility Guidelines addressing access to emergency transportable housing. The committee, which included representatives from disability groups, industry and code groups, and government agencies, reviewed the Board's ADA and ABA Accessibility Guidelines and assessed the impact of site constraints and other limitations on units, particularly those located on private property. Since they are designed and manufactured for transport over roadways, these housing units have a smaller footprint than other types of housing. The committee examined design factors that pose challenges to accessibility, including size and space limitations, and identified relevant provisions in the Board's facility guidelines that should be revised for specific application to emergency transportable housing. The committee submitted its final report to the Board in October 2008.
Advisory Committee Members
- Advocacy Center
- Coalition for Citizens with Disabilities
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Department of Justice
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform
- Manufactured Housing Institute
- National Center for Environmental Health Strategies, Inc.
- National Council on Independent Living
- National Fire Protection Association
- Recreation Park Trailer Industry Association
- Recreation Vehicle Industry Association
- United Spinal Association
These resources were provided to the advisory committee members to aid them in their deliberations:
- RPTIA comparison of State and Federal Definitions, Size Limitations, and Taxes Applied to: Manufactured Homes, Mobile Homes, Recreation Vehicles, Recreational Park Trailers, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheel Trailers, Folding Camping Trailers, Truck Campers, and Motor Homes.
- California Air Resources Board
- FEMA Continues To Address Formaldehyde Concerns
- IEQ Indoor Environmental Quality — A project of the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) with funding support from the Access Board
- Information about the Federal Advisory Committee Act is summarized in the FACA Brochure and in the introductory FACA video, The First Meeting (14 minutes):
- We have this video in available in two formats (uncompressed MPEG and compressed AVI using the DivX codec) and two versions (one with both Audio Description and Open Captions). These multimedia files are large and are not streamed. Please allow time for the file download to complete before trying to play it.
- GPO Access
- Commercially available publications. To order copies, see referenced web site.